Valley Center
   Park City
   Bel Aire
   Police & Fire
   Looking Back
   Heard on Main Street
Municipal Court
   School Sports
   Rec League
   Engagements & Weddings

Firefighters remove a garage door to check for fires and to ventilate the building at 815 E. Fifth Feb. 10.

Fire destroys oversized garage
By Chris Strunk
Last Updated: February 16, 2017

Fire destroyed a large detached garage that sits across the street from the Valley Center Fire Department Feb. 10.

Crews responded to the fire after county dispatchers received a call from a passer-by who saw smoke at 8:34 a.m. coming from the structure at 815 E. Fifth.

Fire Capt. Rob Tormey said the fire started when a heat lamp apparently came in contact with straw. The lamp was left on to keep a puppy warm in the southeast corner of the building.

The 6-month-old dog escaped the fire unharmed through a doggie door that opens to a fenced area on the south side of the garage.

Lawn mowers, a truck body, motorcycle, utility vehicle and variety of tools were damaged in the fire, Tormey said.

Tormey said the wooden frame caught fire throughout the roughly 2,000-square-foot structure, scorching the metal siding.

No one was at the adjacent home at the time of the fire.

It's unclear how long the fire had been burning by the time it was reported.

Tormey said he arrived at the fire department about 7:45 a.m. He said he didn't see smoke in the area.

The fire department's bay doors were open until about 8:30 a.m.

The structure belongs to Garret Martin. Tormey said it was insured.

Trending Stories
Valley Center Delgado pleads guilty

Valley Center Morris gets life in prison

Valley Center Driver chased into Valley Center

Valley Center Bus driver finishes 40th year

Police & Fire Valley Center police reports and fire calls

Other Sections





Contact Ark Valley News | Archives